- The shortlist of the Premier's Book Awards announced
- Awards ceremony to be held on July 26, 2019
Culture and the Arts Minister David Templeman today announced the shortlist for the 2018 Western Australian Premier's Book Awards.
The Western Australian Premier's Book Awards aim to support, develop and recognise excellence in writing.
This year UWAP is represented in the following two awards:
- The Western Australian Writer's Fellowship ($60,000), designed to assist a Western Australian writer, of any genre, to develop their writing practice and give them the time to create new work.
- The Premier's Prize for an Emerging Writer Award ($15,000) for the first published work of prose, poetry or narrative nonfiction, in any genre.
Emerging Writer shortlist
- The Sky Runs Right Through Us Reneé Pettitt-Schipp
These beautiful Christmas Island poems capture both the despair of asylum seekers imprisoned by rock and sea and their ancient will to continue.
- GILLIAN TRIGGS
Amanda Curtin is the author of novels Elemental and The Sinkings, and a short story collection, Inherited(all UWA Publishing). Elemental was shortlisted for the 2014 WA Premier’s Book Awards (Fiction and People’s Choice categories) and was published in the UK in 2016 (Scribe UK).
Her award-winning short fiction has been published in Griffith Review, Southerly, Island, Indigo, Westerly and Review of Australian Fiction.
The winners of the 2018 Premier's Book Awards will be announced on July 26, 2019 during the Disrupted Festival of Ideas at the State Library of Western Australia.