- UWAP POETRY CLUB
- THE DOROTHY HEWETT AWARD
- UWAP BLOG
Work Placement Program
UWA PUBLISHING’S WORK PLACEMENT PROGRAM
In response to the high volume of internship enquiries we receive, UWA Publishing established the UWAP Work Placement Program. This program is designed to provide students with an insight into independent publishing and the machinations of a university press.
As a small Western Australian publisher we are committed to nurturing writers and thinkers in our local community. The UWAP Work Placement Program provides those considering a career in publishing with a practical learning experience.
We are now accepting applications for 2017 placements.
Commencement dates are negotiated on an individual basis, however applicants should ensure they are able to commit to a 15-hour week over a six week period.
Successful applicants will undertake tasks such as but not restricted to the following:
- Assisting the Publishing Officer in creating content for and managing the UWA Publishing website and social media platforms.
- Assisting the Publishing Officer with event planning and management.
- Undertaking market research and preparing summary reports.
- Assisting the Publishing Manager with editorial tasks, such as copy editing and proof reading.
- General administrative duties.
- Gain an understanding of the operations of a small press.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate a level of business acumen.
ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA
The Work Placement Program is open to tertiary students with an interest in the following fields: humanities and social sciences; media and communications; literature and creative writing. Students can be either enrolled in a relevant degree or demonstrate an interest in these areas to be eligible.
Students do not have to be studying at The University of Western Australia.
We are looking for applicants who demonstrate a passion for books and publishing in the context of our organisation. UWA Publishing publishes dynamic works of fiction, poetry and non-fiction. Our UWAP Scholarly imprint publishes engaging research across the humanities and social sciences. Please note we do not publish children’s or young adult.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the application form below.
We are unable to accept applications through any other channel.
Please contact our Publishing Officer Charlotte Guest on email@example.com should you have questions regarding our Work Placement Program.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
We are not able to contact unsuccessful applicants individually or provide feedback.